Common Payment Errors
Credit card payments decline can happen for a variety of reasons. In this article, we'll look at some of the common issues and possible ways to address them.
Why was one of my charges declined?
When we submit a payment request to the financial institution, they use an automated system to check whether to charge the card or not. Their systems take into consideration various signals such as account balance, the card information provided, spending habits etc. Due to these varying factors, a card could be rejected a few minutes after a successful transaction even if all the credit card information provided is correct. We may not be able to pinpoint the exact cause of the issue in this case.
How can I find out more information about a specific decline?
If you are using the Uscreen Payment Gateway, kindly send us an email so that we can check this for you. You can email us at firstname.lastname@example.org. If you are using Stripe Payment Gateway, please follow the steps below:
1. Go to Customers at the backend of your Store > search for the email address of the customer in question > click on the customer's name > Invoice2. Click on the invoice number and copy the transaction ID, example: ch_1ChKnt2SmhC8J1GrokThEkz9
3. Login to your Stripe account > Click on the Payments Tab in the left panel and search for the transaction ID you copied in step two above. Stripe will provide you with details on why the transaction failed.
Why do I see "Cannot charge a customer that has no active card" even though there is a Credit Card on file?
This may happen if a customer tries to update their credit card information but fails to provide the complete Card information or tries to submit an empty Credit Card field. Our system will try to submit the request to Stripe, however, because the information is inaccurate, a new Stripe instance is created for the customer using the old card details which may either be invalid or expired.
This may lead to errors as seen in the screenshot below. This can be resolved by carefully entering the correct Credit card information again and clicking the submit button just once.
A customer paid via the App store but they do not have access to the videos
You can follow the steps below to grant them access:
1. Go to Customers > Search for the customer's email address > click on the customer's name
2. Go to Access
3. Click on "Choose plan" to grant them access to that subscription
4. Once the plan is chosen, click on Edit to change the date for renewal and save the changes