Have an email list and want to mass invite them and also assign them a subscription or bundle access to your Uscreen site in the process?
Luckily, this can be easily achieved by using Zapier. If you don’t already know how to setup Zapier, we encourage you to check out our overview article on Zapier triggers.
Before you begin, it's important to note a couple items:
Firstly, this will not work to re-assign current access for existing subscribers or those who have access to the same bundle you plan to assign in bulk. You'll want to make sure any bulk assignment you perform with this setup are for users who do not have a bundle or subscription currently assigned to them or an error will be thrown.
Secondly, if you bulk assign a subscription, there will be no payment information for these users as they did not opt-in through the checkout with a form of payment. This means it's likely your new subscribers will experience renewal reminders and then their account will be placed on hold if they do not remit payment. For this reason, it's advisable to ensure the subscription plan you assign has a sufficient free trial duration. Please note, however, if any of these users you bulk assign Subscription access to has had a free trial before, they will not be given the free trial again.
Setup an Auto Assignment Trigger in Zapier
1. Make sure that you have an account on https://zapier.com/ and that you are already logged in.
2. Navigate to the Zapier dashboard (https://zapier.com/app/dashboard) and click the button named “Make a Zap”
3. You will be presented with a sample of triggers available and also you can use the search bar to look for additional ones
4. Select “Google Sheets” as the first trigger event
5. Select the Trigger Event named “New Spreadsheet Row”, which will be triggered when a new row is added to the bottom of the Google spreadsheet, then click the Continue button.
6. Select a Google Sheets account, which will be listed if it has been previously connected to this Zapier account, or connect a new one. Note: its necessary to have a Gmail account or email that uses Google Drive services.
7. Now we have to switch to our Google or Gmail account, and create a new spreadsheet for listing the end-users that we want to invite to our Uscreen site and assign content. On this example, we named the spreadsheet “Google Sheets > Zapier > Uscreen invite”. Of course, you can name your sheet however you'd like.
8. Add the following headers to the Sheet, as demonstrated in the below screenshot:
9. Add some sample data for testing the trigger, as demonstrated in the below screenshot:
-Name: End-user Full name
-Email Address: Your email address + test > Example: email@example.com
-Product Type: This is for you to organize your sheet and determine if the product given access it's a subscription or a bundle
-Product Name: Exact name of the subscription (this is for your reference)
-Product ID: Subscription or Bundle ID from Uscreen
10. After the Google Sheet has been setup, select it in Zapier. If it doesn’t load (appear as an option) automatically after typing the name, click the Load More button.
11. Select the Sheet where the data is coming from, on this example, the Sheet1. Press the Continue button.
12. Once that's done, test the trigger and if all steps were followed correctly, there should be a message like the following (see screenshot below). Click on Continue.
13. Now that the Google Sheet has been successfully linked with the first action, go ahead and create another action to setup a Uscreen event.
14. Select the Action Event named “Enroll Customer". This will add a bundle or subscription to a customer’s account. Note: This will also create a new customer if one doesn’t exist on the Uscreen backend. Click the Continue button.
15. Select the corresponding Uscreen account, the press Continue.
16. On the Setup action, we will determine which subscription or bundle we are going to assign to the end-user, on this occasion, this is a “Quarterly subscription”.
Select the Custom option, then select the “Product ID” column. Note: its important that the id on the Google Sheet from earlier steps is the same as the id you intend to assign which you can get from your Uscreen Admin Area. See our example of obtaining a Subscription id, which is the same concept for retrieving a Bundle id.
17. Leave the Stripe ID and Payment Due Date blank unless you want to add a date here for transactional reference.
18. On the email field, click on the search bar and select the field from the Google Sheet named “Email Address”
19. On the password field, set a temporary password. Make sure the password is unique and not the same for everyone you invite!
20. If everything looks correct, click Continue.
IMPORTANT REMINDER: If one of the users entered on the Google Sheet already has an active subscription, the Zapier trigger will throw an error - therefore it's important to verify that you are only inviting new users OR users without a subscription or bundle currently associated to their account.
21. If the Zap was successful, a success message like this one will appear.
23. If everything was successful with your test, click Turn on Zap, when you're ready to run real data.
To create new end-users and associated them with subscriptions, you can now simply go to the Google Sheet and add new records. Notice I added a different subscription to the end-user on the fifth row:
The Zapier trigger might take several minutes to process all invitations, but if processed correctly all users invited should be reflected on your Uscreen people tab, and their corresponding subscription assigned.
Your invited users will receive an invitation email with their credentials for access. If they did not receive it, it may have gone to their spam folder!